Maintenance Contracts Case Study 4
Client: Babcock International
Babcock International provides critical fleet management and training for 80,000 customer-owned defence, emergency services, airport and commercial vehicles, and engineering services and technical training worldwide.
In 2016 IMS were appointed by Babcock International as a production maintenance provider to the Defence Support Group (DSG) portfolio. This is an annually reviewed contract which includes reactive and planned maintenance for machine shop assets at nine sites across the UK.
Scope of works
- Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) to all production machinery
- Annual review of the PUWER assessments on the machines
- Reactive maintenance to all production assets
- Procurement of spare parts and consumables
How we do it
IMS have appointed a dedicated service engineer based on the largest site from which the remaining sites are served. This service engineer is then backed up by our mobile engineering team enabling us to react to fluctuations in workload and client demands. All our service engineers are SC security cleared. We have created a structured annual service schedule whereby the assets have been grouped by site, limiting the amount of time spent travelling and giving routine to the site leads and production managers.
We have built a database to include an accurate list of all of the assets on each site; this database contains all service and PUWER records. Service and remedial reports are automatically generated on completion of each site visit. We provide prompt responses to breakdown and repair call-outs and remedial works.
The benefits we have achieved
- All of the machines are annually reviewed against health and safety and PUWER regulations and reports issued to the client for consideration, our Technical Delivery Manager is then able to support any recommended remedial actions
- We have reduced downtime and increased availability on all machines
- The life cycle of the machines has been increased
- Machines now benefit from improved performance and accuracy
- We have reduced the risk of breakdowns
- Our proactive approach towards value engineering is contributing to reduce costs
- Appointment of IMS has contributed towards safer and more compliant working environments